WHAT WE’VE ACCOMPLISHED TOGETHER
Here is some of what we’ve accomplished together since my election as your representative on the Irvine City Council:
Irvine by the Numbers:
- No. 1 Major American City in Fiscal Strength.
- No. 1 FBI’s Safest American City. Lowest rate of violent crime among cities with a population of 250,000 or more.
- No. 1 City in Orange County in Percentage Increase in Property Values.
- No. 1 City in Orange County in Total Property Values.
- No. 2 Safest Big City, based on categories that go beyond violent crime rates, including motor vehicle safety.
- No. 3 Most Prosperous City.
- No. 3 Happiest Residents.
- No. 4 Best City for Working Parents.
- No. 5 Most Livable City.
- No. 6 Least Stressed American City.
- No. 7 Best Park System.
- No. 8 Best Public Parks.
- No. 8 Best City to Raise a Family, based on crime rate, vehicle safety, air quality, and educational attainment.
- No. 9 Healthiest Lifestyles.
- No. 15 Best Places to Buy a Forever Home.
- Listed as one of 20 Western Dream Towns.
Great Park Progress:
- Reached agreement with Wild Rivers for a new 30-acre water park in the Great Park.
- Live music returns to Irvine as new 12,000-seat live music amphitheatre opens in the Great Park.
- Groundbreaking for new Anaheim Ducks’ 270,000 square-foot community ice skating and practice facility in the Great Park (largest public ice skating facility in the West).
- Opened new 5,000-seat Championship Soccer Stadium and numerous other sports fields and facilities in the first phase of 194-acre Great Park Sports Park, the largest of its kind in Orange County — larger than Disneyland and Disney California Adventure combined.
- Great Park Sports Complex presented with the Orange County Business Council’s Turning Red Tape into Red Carpet Award for Public-Private Partnership.
- Great Park Championship Stadium became home of Orange County Soccer Club, Orange County’s only professional soccer team and official affiliate partner of the Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) of Major League Soccer (MLS). Orange County SC is a part of the United Soccer League (USL), the fastest growing Division II professional soccer league in the world comprised of 34 teams across the United States.
- Begun construction of a 2.5 mile nature corridor at the eastern end of the park. It is intended to be a pathway for bobcats, coyotes, California gnatcatchers and other wildlife species to move safely between the Santa Ana Mountains and the coast. The corridor, accessible only to wildlife, is expected to open mid-2019.
- 101 acres of Great Park Sports complex completed, including six new soccer/lacrosse fields; a natural turf flex field that can accommodate four additional soccer fields, four basketball courts available for drop-in use, and more.
- Since my election, the City Council has not approved a single new entitlement for housing or offices because of concern for traffic congestion.
- Reinstated Irvine Transportation/Traffic Commission (with my appointee, Ken Montgomery, as Chair).
- Created and filled new City of Irvine staff position of Director of Transportation.
- Reduced traffic in and out of Concordia University.
- Approved $19 million plan to reduce traffic congestion throughout Irvine.
- Approved plan to widen University between MacArthur and Campus, adding a lane in each direction and upgrading traffic signals.
- Working with CalTrans to upgrade and improve timing on 40 traffic signals near freeway ramps.
- Defeated proposed 1,960-unit “Traveland” apartment complex at the 5 and Sand Canyon, based on negative impact on traffic congestion.
- Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) grants funding for five traffic/transportation projects in Irvine: $3.1 million for Main Street project; $1.1 million to improve Culver Drive/Bonita Canyon/Ford Drive from Jamboree Road to Portola Parkway; $327,000 to widen University Drive from Ridgeline Drive to the I-405; $194,000 to improve Culver Drive and Alton Parkway intersection; and $54,000 to improve Harvard Avenue at Michelson Drive.
- Reinstated the Irvine Green Ribbon Environmental Commission (with me as Chair and my appointee as Vice-Chair).
- Organic Landscape Leadership Award from Pepperdine Center for Sustainability for Irvine’s exclusive use of organic non-toxic materials in its gardens, parks, and grounds-keeping.
- 2017 Sustainable Government of the Year Award for recycling and waste reduction from Sustain OC.
- 2017 Eco-Award from U.S. Green Building Council.
- Reinstated Mayor’s Water Challenge.
- Continued working with Non-Toxic Irvine to ensure that all City of Irvine pest pressure is maintained organically, and that our public gardens and fields are not only beautiful, they are safe.
- Worked with Irvine-based Wyland Foundation to conserve our water and preserve our ocean.
Financial and Budgetary Achievments:
- City of Irvine awarded Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report from the Government Finance Officers Association.
- City of Irvine receives Distinguished Budget Presentation Award representing the City’s commitment in meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
- City of Irvine received California Society of Municipal Finance Officers Award for Excellence in Operational Budgeting.
Civic, Educational, and Cultural Achievements:
- Expanded Northwood Gratitude and Honor Memorial.
- Opening of the new Charlie and Ling Zhang Musical Arts and Education Center, including Orange County Music and Dance, a non-profit school in Irvine, and headquarters for Arts OC and the Pacific Symphony.
- All of Irvine’s high schools rated in the top 10% of the nation’s high schools.
- Cadence Park School (K-8) opens in Great Park Neighborhoods.
- Affordable Housing 2018 Development of the Year Award for Luminaira and Espaira at Parasol Park.
- 16th Annual Global Village Festival.
- 8th Annual Korean Festival.
- 4th Annual Diwali Festival.
- 4th Annual Persian New Year Nowruz Festival.
- 3rd Annual Winter Wonderland Festival.
- 12th Annual Orange County Fire Open House.
- 3rd Annual Irvine Police Open House.
- 1st Annual “Days of Remembrance” Proclamation, remembering the Holocaust and calling on all of us to be “vigilant against hatred, persecution, and tyranny.”
- Instituted first-ever Irvine Police Mounted Unit.
- 12th Annual Super Pet Adoption at Irvine Animal Care Center.
- 12th Annual Home for the Holidays Pet Adoption at Irvine Animal Center.
- 4th Annual Spooktacular Fun Days at Great Park.
- 1st Annual Irish Fair in the Great Park.
As your representative on the Irvine City Council, I will continue to keep my eyes focused on Irvine’s future – creating opportunities, solving problems, and producing results.
You can always count on me to be a strong pro-planning, pro-resident, and fiscally responsible advocate for you on the Irvine City Council.
Let’s continue to work together to make Irvine an even better place to live, work and raise our families!